Firsts

Dear baby Charlotte,

You're only five months old, but your daddy and I have already enjoyed witnessing so many of your "firsts" - the first time you smiled, laughed, rolled over - and today is another one. Today, my sweet baby, is my first day leaving you with someone who is not family. Your wonderful Nana, who had been watching you for the past couple of months, moved back to PA today, and although your Grandma was supposed to watch you, she hurt her back and wasn't able to do so. But one of the (many) perks of working on a college campus is getting to know wonderful students, and one of my favorites (if I'm allowed to have them) recommended her very close friend to us. We met her and loved her, so it was such a relief when she agreed to watch you today. (She'll be watching you throughout the summer, as well, so today was just an earlier-than-expected first day.)

I managed to only text her twice (small victories!) and asked her to send me a photo of you, but I know that she is taking good care of you and that you're having a good day. But letting go, even in this tiny way, is more painful than I ever could've expected.

Needless to say, I am thankful that it's Friday and look forward to spending my first mother's day with you this weekend.

I love you,
Mommy

Comments