St. Patrick's Day
This Sunday is St. Patrick's Day - a day that will always remind me of my grandma Joan. Grandma was only a quarter Irish through her paternal grandmother, but because her mother died when she was young, this Irish grandmother (or "Ma" as she was called) was the all-important maternal influence in my grandmother's life. Ever since my grandma passed away in August of 2009, I've been researching our family tree and learning about some really interesting family facts that I never would have otherwise known. The most fascinating character for me to research, though, was "Ma"'s mother, Fanny, who married in County Donegal Ireland and moved to Pennsylvania with her husband, John. I'm still struggling to uncover some many details of her life, but I somehow feel closer to my own grandma by learning more about hers.
Because Ma was such a force in my grandma's life, the Irish culture remained important to my grandma until the day she died. She collected all kinds of shamrocks and was always thrilled when St. Patrick's Day would arrive. She would cook the most wonderful corned beef & cabbage and would proudly wear green every year. When I see Irish blessings or a shamrock of any kind, I undoubtedly think of her.
This Irish blessing is probably one of my favorites, and reminds me of my grandma for a very specific reason. Simplicity. How true is it that it that the simplest things in life bring the most joy? My grandma was one of the most beautifully simple people I have ever known. She used to turn up her heat to 75 degrees in the winter and say "I'm not spending a lot of money by taking vacations to warm places, so I'm going to enjoy the warmth of my home instead!" with such joy that you'd almost think she was on vacation. She used to moan with contentment every time she laid down and say, out loud, how thankful she was for her warm, comfortable bed. She used to put a little butter on just about everything and smile with delight at how delicious it made everything taste. (Before you assume that she was unhealthy because of it, she lived to be 81 years old before ovarian cancer took her from us.)
This St. Patrick's Day weekend, as I marvel all things green and read beautiful Irish blessings, I will remember my sweet Irish grandma and the joy that life brought her. And I will strive to live my life the same way.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Comments
Post a Comment