Baby Dolls and Memories
Dear baby girl,
When I was little, I was in love with all things baby dolls. I had a number of them to choose from, but my favorite doll toy of all time was my "lifelike" baby doll that I got a the Five Seasons Gift Shop near Canandaigua (sadly, that store closed, but I LOVED going there each summer with my family). The reason this doll was so special was because she was the size of a real baby and was properly weighted so that she felt like a real baby too. From far away, many people thought that she was real, but upon closer look it was obvious that she was plastic.
I named her Natalie and would carry her everywhere. Once, I accompanied your Grandma to Wegmans and convinced her to buy me jarred baby food to "feed" baby Natalie. I remember the rush of joy I felt when I lifted the jars of baby food from the cart to the conveyer belt and imagined, in my naive, child's mind, what it would be like to be buying baby food for a real baby.
And now, as I go grocery shopping to Wegmans with your daddy (we're a good team and he makes a great food shopping partner!), I also sneak through the baby aisles and imagine, in a much more real way, which products I will buy for you and which foods you will prefer. I know that all the joy I've imagined won't even compare to the richness you will bring to our lives.
I love you,
Mommy
When I was little, I was in love with all things baby dolls. I had a number of them to choose from, but my favorite doll toy of all time was my "lifelike" baby doll that I got a the Five Seasons Gift Shop near Canandaigua (sadly, that store closed, but I LOVED going there each summer with my family). The reason this doll was so special was because she was the size of a real baby and was properly weighted so that she felt like a real baby too. From far away, many people thought that she was real, but upon closer look it was obvious that she was plastic.
I named her Natalie and would carry her everywhere. Once, I accompanied your Grandma to Wegmans and convinced her to buy me jarred baby food to "feed" baby Natalie. I remember the rush of joy I felt when I lifted the jars of baby food from the cart to the conveyer belt and imagined, in my naive, child's mind, what it would be like to be buying baby food for a real baby.
And now, as I go grocery shopping to Wegmans with your daddy (we're a good team and he makes a great food shopping partner!), I also sneak through the baby aisles and imagine, in a much more real way, which products I will buy for you and which foods you will prefer. I know that all the joy I've imagined won't even compare to the richness you will bring to our lives.
I love you,
Mommy
Comments
Post a Comment