I'm Back!
I don't know what led me away from this space, but I know what has brought me back.
If I haven't already said so, I was a creative writing major in college. I have always loved writing - in fact, as a young child, I used to write stories all. the. time. and even won a few awards! - but quickly learned that, as far as hobbies go, it's kind of a weird one. It's enjoyable for me, of course, but it isn't one of those things that you can easily get together with the girls to do as a social event. It isn't something that allows for distractions. It isn't even something that I like to openly admit to enjoying for fear that someone will (God forbid) want to read something I've written.
But when I made this blog, I did it for me. (Good thing, because I think I have, if I'm lucky, two followers. Ha.)
And that's why I'm back.
I'm thankful that I don't feel like I've lost myself (my Emily-ness) to parenthood, which absolutely happens to many women and men as they begin this journey. Surely this is in part due to the fact that I have maintained my job on a part-time basis, so there are effectively two parts of myself - Emily the mom and Emily the career counselor, with whom I split my time. However, I think it's still important for me to have a third, more authentic option - just Emily. I can still have that, right? Just Emily the person? A combination of Emily the mom, Emily the career counselor, and bits of Emily the wife, daughter, friend, Disney-lover, etc.?
So here I am. Happy to be rejoining the blogosphere and happy to be giving myself a gift, albeit a seemingly small one. The gift of me-ness. The ability to write because I love it, and for no other reason than that.
If I haven't already said so, I was a creative writing major in college. I have always loved writing - in fact, as a young child, I used to write stories all. the. time. and even won a few awards! - but quickly learned that, as far as hobbies go, it's kind of a weird one. It's enjoyable for me, of course, but it isn't one of those things that you can easily get together with the girls to do as a social event. It isn't something that allows for distractions. It isn't even something that I like to openly admit to enjoying for fear that someone will (God forbid) want to read something I've written.
But when I made this blog, I did it for me. (Good thing, because I think I have, if I'm lucky, two followers. Ha.)
And that's why I'm back.
I'm thankful that I don't feel like I've lost myself (my Emily-ness) to parenthood, which absolutely happens to many women and men as they begin this journey. Surely this is in part due to the fact that I have maintained my job on a part-time basis, so there are effectively two parts of myself - Emily the mom and Emily the career counselor, with whom I split my time. However, I think it's still important for me to have a third, more authentic option - just Emily. I can still have that, right? Just Emily the person? A combination of Emily the mom, Emily the career counselor, and bits of Emily the wife, daughter, friend, Disney-lover, etc.?
So here I am. Happy to be rejoining the blogosphere and happy to be giving myself a gift, albeit a seemingly small one. The gift of me-ness. The ability to write because I love it, and for no other reason than that.
Comments
Post a Comment