Unexpected Lessons

There were some lessons that I expected to learn after becoming a mom. Things like how to love someone else more than I ever thought possible. Or what it means to make sacrifices for my child without blinking an eye.

But there were some lessons that were unexpected. Very, very unexpected. Here's what I mean.

  • I now know, like the back of my hand, what is stroller-accessible, which is to say that I know like the back of my hand what is actually accessible. I never had to think twice about what entrance to use or whether or not a curb was in the way of my getting to the door.

    But now I do. I have to go out of my way, more often than not, to find the dip in the curb, and then, when I get to the door, I oftentimes cannot (easily) open it without spilling coffee, my purse, or the like.

    Even worse, there are some places that I literally cannot bring Charlotte to because there isn't a way to get her (in her stroller) inside.

    It definitely has made me think twice about people with disabilities who need to think about these things on a daily basis. More of our world should be accessible! Who's with me?
  • With rare exception, most places have stores. In a packing panic, or in a oh-God-we-ran-out-of-diapers moment, it's easy to forget. But have no fear - if you really need something, you can usually get it without too much trouble.
  • There's a secret code that moms (and dads) have with one another. When I'm with Charlotte, and I see another parent with a child (particularly with a fussy one), all I have to do is glance in their direction and I have literally and telepathically sent a "I'm right there with you, sister (or brother)" message. It's frightening, but also kind of awesome. It's an unspoken reminder that we (parents) are not alone.
  • Baby stuff is expensive. Very expensive. And even worse, it can be INCREDIBLY frustrating/difficult/anxiety-provoking to put together.

    But have no fear! I have learned the holy grail solution of baby products.

    BUY (lightly) USED.

    Of course, I am not referring to all baby items, but I am saying that most things can be easily cleaned, are over half-off retail price, and do not need to be assembled.

    Can I get an amen?
  • Speaking of expensive... baby food is. Very.

    Turns out that my previous images of slaving for hours in my kitchen while steaming & pureeing fresh vegetables on a daily basis was completely, unequivocally, wrong.

    BUY FROZEN. Microwave. Add a little water and baby bullet it. Make enough to freeze some and refrigerate the rest.

    WHAT??It's easy. Healthy. And hella cheap. (Yes, I went there.) You're welcome.
  • One last point about the expensiveness thing.

    Charlotte has a lot of beautiful toys, most of them gifts from her grandparents. But her absolute favorite? A rubber duck. A $.99 rubber duck.

    It's true what they say - kids really have as much (or more) fun with the boxes than they have with what's inside.
What are some of the things that you were surprised to learn once you became a parent?

  

Comments